
I think there are a few interesting points made in chapter three about the delicacies of the social media platform:
The author of the book, Shama Hyder Kabani, makes a point in differentiating traditional marketing and social media marketing by noting that social media is a dialog... not a monologue like traditional advertising. She has also stated that there are many negative repercussions to trying to control this conversation. A while ago there was a CEO of a company (posing as a customer) who was trying to manipulate the public by posting on his own company website. Lying and trying to manipulate is bad for business, because people will smell your bull and you will get caught.
I also like that Kabani points out that just being apart of Facebook or Linkedin won't get you anywhere. Once you're there, you have to be proactive! Just sitting around on sites hoping to be seen isn't going to work.
I also found the Twitter chapter pretty insightful. I feel that a lot of people under the age of 25 don't use Twitter as much as the 35-50 market. From what Kabani has said about Twitter, it is easier to reach consumers on this platform than it is on Facebook. I also liked learning the logistics of what the "@" is used for, what hashtags are (#) plus other various functions on the site. (I don't like that everything is limited to 120 words!)
Kabani also advises the new Twitter user to have a custom background for their page. I think I disagree with this; from a designer's standpoint, I think this could be tastefully done. However almost no one is going to hire a graphic designer to make a Twitter background for them. I understand the logistics of having an own-able, customized look and it is a nice little touch... I just think that this could make or break a reputation, and nine times out of ten the background will not be up to a designer's standards. But then again, I haven't been checking out many Twitter pages lately.
No comments:
Post a Comment