Monday, April 25, 2011

Reflection: Junior Year

I believe the most important lesson I've learned about copywriting and art direction is there is no easy way to get to the final solution. Both of these things requite trying and trying again if the first creative solution doesn't seem to be working. This has been the first year that I've had to re-concept a project just a few days before the final files are due to the client. I found that the most useful way to have an extremely successful campaign is to have a solid concept in the beginning so that you have plenty of time to go back and edit both copy and art direction. This also allows some time to experiment with different looks and diction for the client.

If I knew what I know now at the beginning of this year, I would have started pulling together my professional portfolio and resume way earlier that I had started. I am very upset that I was slow in doing this, and now I do not have a summer internship. This is going to slow down the actual hiring process a year from now. This summer I plan on scanning many of my sketches and doing some extra poster work on the side to add to my portfolio. I really look forward to working on my design and illustration!

As next year approaches, I'm looking forward to the experience that I will gain from participating in the N.S.A.C. However, I think that I'm most excited about finally seeing all that I have learned while I've been at Ringling come to a close. Next year at this time, we will all see how the education that we've gained will pay off. I am really looking forward optimistically to getting a great job at a reputable agency. I am greatly anticipating graduation day!

3 comments:

  1. I don't really know how to respond to these evaluations other than, I know how you feel bro. Senior year will be both exciting and scary. I am also upset I waited so long to get my stuff together but then again I think it is all in the learning process and not relying on having everyone tell you when to do things. You really have to think ahead. This year has been both exciting and exhausting. Bring on Senior Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Decker's comment, "it's all in the learning process and not relying on having everyone tell you when to do things". I definitely agree. This year was very frustrating, but thank goodness it happened in our Junior year. Some schools leave you high and dry at the end of your senior year, so I feel really lucky to have been taught this lesson sooner than later. NSAC here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgana, I wrote about this too. Getting my portfolio and resume together earlier would have been great. But at least it was a learning experience like Decker said, and at least we have many great pieces to put in our portfolios. I am excited to be on N.S.A.C with all of you!

    ReplyDelete